Modesty is more than just clothing. Modesty is the outward manifestation of an inward chastity or purity. If you are washed by his blood, saved by his grace, touched by his mercy, you will be modest. You will want to be Christ-like in your conversation, your attitude, the way you dress, the way you present yourself, the way you act, the way you respect yourself, your body, and how you respect those around you. You will want to walk, act, and speak like a lady. You will not want to dress in a way that draws attention to your to your body in no way or form.
As a Christian, I believe in following the Word of God and it's principles. The Bible teaches us how to live our lives in a way that is Christ-like and pleasing to God.
Biblical Scriptures referring to modesty:
- 1 Timothy 2:9-10: In like manner also, that women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with shamefacedness and sobriety; not with broided hair, or gold, or pearls, or costly array; but (which becometh women professing godliness) with good works.
- 1 Peter 3:3-4: Let your adorning be not that outward adorning of plaiting the hair, or wearing of gold, or putting on of apparel; but let it be the hidden man of the heart, in that which is not corruptible, even the ornament of a meek and quiet spirit, which is in the sight of God of great price.
- 1 Peter 1: 15-16: But as he which hath called you is holy, so be ye holy in all manner of conversation; Because it is written, Be holy; for I am holy.
- 1 Corinthians 6:19-20: What? Know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own? For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God's.
Modest: (adj) 1. having or showing a moderate or humble estimate of one's merits, importance, etc.; free from vanity, egotism, boastfulness, or great pretensions. 2. free from ostentation or showy extravagance: 3. having or showing regard for the decencies of behavior, speech, dress, etc.; decent
Shamefaced: (adj) modest or bashful
Sobriety: (noun) state or quality of being sober
Godliness: (adj) conforming to the laws and wishes of God; devout; pious.
Meek: (adj) 1. humbly patient or docile, as under provocation from others. 2. overly submissive or compliant; spiritless; tame. 3. gentle; kind.
Holy: (adj) 1. dedicated or devoted to the service of God, the church, or religion: a holy man. 2. saintly; godly; pious; devout: a holy life. 3. having a spiritually pure quality: a holy love
So, what will modesty look like on a true Christian?
Here are some guidelines:( from http://www.movingtowardsmodesty.com/What-is-Modesty.html)
- Modesty will promote purity of heart. It will not in any way cause our brothers to stumble.
- Modesty will promote humility. It will not stir up pride in the wearer.
- Modesty will promote selflessness. It will not cause envy in the heart of the beholder.
- Modesty will promote spirituality. It will not cause one to take her eyes off of Jesus.
- Modesty will promote love. It will not cause divisiveness, controversy or class distinction.
- Modesty will promote separation from the world. It will clarify the lines between the Christian and the world.